Our styrenic block copolymers (SBC) produce solvent-based, highly-elastic coatings that provide outstanding crack-free adhesion to polar and non-polar substrates. These coatings resist damage from water incursion, ponding and from chemical exposure, and can be applied year-round in cold or wet weather conditions. We can collaborate with you to develop new products that serve changing markets.
Kraton offers a broad portfolio of performance chemicals that provide coatings formulators and end users a wide range of innovative technologies. With vertical integration in both tall oil and dimer fatty acids processing, we are uniquely qualified to deliver high product consistency and performance for coating applications.
Our product features include:
- Outstanding coatings surface properties: Usage of Tall Oil Fatty Acid (Sylfat™ range) enables alkyd binder and paint formulators to achieve faster drying and early hardness development in alkyd paint systems while attaining high gloss performance in solvent-borne alkyds and water-borne alkyd emulsions.
- Lower carbon footprint for decorative coatings: The biobased SYLFAT™ Tall Oil Fatty Acids provide greater hardness, faster drying, excellent outdoor durability and low yellowing to alkyd-based decorative paints. Our tall oil-based alkyd binders generate up to seven times lower carbon dioxide emissions compared to vegetable oil- based alternatives This allows the coatings industry to decrease carbon footprint, enhance performance and enables the development of more sustainable coatings.
- Rheology control in alkyds: Our dimer acid-based UNI-REZ™ thixotropic polyamides provide non-drip performance, ease of use, polar-solvent resistance and increased control of rheology for alkyd binder formulators.
- Productivity optimizations: Our tall oil technology, used in alkyd emulsions and high solid alkyds, enables coating formulators to comply with industry VOC requirements. The technology provides substantial cycle-time savings, optimizing plant capacity utilization.
Features and Benefits
- Excellent adhesion to polar and non-polar substrates
- Long-lasting flexibility and elasticity
- Superior crack resistance
- Excellent toughness and impact resistance
- Reliable long-term resistance to corrosion, water and most chemicals